- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Lobeke National Park
“An Undiscovered Wildlife Hotspot”
Lobéké National Park is located in the division of the Boumba and Ngoko, east region of Cameroon. It’s bordered in the north western side by the Boumba Bek National park of Cameroon, eastwards by the Sangha River which also serves as an international border between Cameroon, Congo and Central Africa Republic. The park is located in the Congo basin and its adjoining to two other reserves in Congo and the Central Africa Republic, the Nouabale-Ndoki national park and the Dzanga-Sangha reserve respectively. These three reserves form the Sangha River Tri-National Protected Area (STN).
Lobéké National park covers 1,838.55 km2 (709.87 sq mi) and its altitude ranges from 300 m (980 ft) to 750 m above sea level. Saline swamps occur within the park and there are appox 12 natural clearings. The annual rainfall averages 1400 mm. with the dry season occurring from December through February. Lobéké is the home of many different ethnic groups including the Bangando, Baka pygmy and the Bantu, you can spend time with the local pygmy community when you book this trip.
Flora; There are more than 300 species of trees in Lobéké, characterised by predominantly a semi-evergreen forest, most of which has never been logged. The forest is characterising by different species of plants with dominant species like Sterculiaceae. Ceiba and Terminalia superb. While the under storey includes Ebenaceae and annonaceae trees. Clusters of Gilbertiodendron dewevrei, the savannas are bordered by palm thickets and sedge marshes
Fauna; The animals species found here includes;- the western lowland gorillas, African forest elephants, forest buffalo, chimpanzee, leopards, Giant Forest Hog, Agile Mangabey, Colobus Monkey and other species of monkeys, mongoose, antelopes and many more. There are about 215 species of butterflies, 134 species of fish, 18 species of reptiles, and 16 species of amphibians
Birds;- Lobéké National Park is an Important Bird Area and more than 300 species of birds have been recorded here. Some species includes the rare red-nosed green pigeon, chestnut kingfisher and rhinoceros birds. It’s an important bird area for the Ja River scrub warbler, you can see African Green Pigeons and African Grey Parrots and more.
Wildlife viewing and Camping in Lobeke centers on forest clearings, where mineral deposits prevent trees from growing. The forest animals and birds all visit the clearings to lick or eat the mineral rich soil, and viewing is on watch towers which are built at the edges of the clearings. We shall camp at Petite Savane and Grand Savane(Djangui), both of which have viewing platforms from which to watch the clearings. Petite Savane is 3 hours walk through the forest, and Grand Savane another 3-4 hours further. Both have basic rough campsites with pit toilet and streams for bathing. Djaloumbe is another nice camp but it’s further.
Travel plan; – Yaoundé- Abong Mbang-Bertoua-Batouri-Yokaduma-Mambele- Lobeke National park.
Distances between Towns;- Yaoundé to Bertoua (341km), Bertoua to Yokadouma ( 304km), Yokadouma to Kombo camp in Mambele (160km) Kombo Camp to Lobeke (50km). It’s important to note that 340km is on tarred road while the rest is on dirt road.
Transportation; – 4*4 cars with AC.
Difficulty level; Hard.
Group Size: 1–12 People.
Starting location; Douala or Yaoundé(Airport/hotel pickup available).
Ending location; Yaoundé(drop off hotel/airport).
Individual price = €2800.
Extra person price = €1500 (ie 2 people costs €4300)
Requirements to Participate:
- This is a private tour, so only your group will participate.
- Open to age groups of 8-55 years old.
- Travellers with physical levels are welcome.
- Available between the months of October-May.
- Not available for travellers with serious medical conditions, those on wheelchair, pregnant women and travellers with back problems.
- Please bring a good pair of hiking boots, a flash light, rain jacket and trekking poles.
- You will need to supply your own backpack for the porter to carry directly to the campsite each day. You are welcome to carry your own daypack containing supplies you will need during the day.
- You have to bring a first aid kit, mosquito repellent and sunscreen, sunglasses, camera, baseball hat for shade.
- Day 1; Arrival day
Arrival and welcome by our team at the Yaounde international airport, we check into the hotel.
*Accommodation; Vishi Tower estate Appartment self contain) Meals; Dinner
- Day 2; Yaounde-Bertoua- Batouri(7-8 hours)
Breakfast early in the morning at the hotel, we drive Yaoundé to Bertoua (341km approx 5-6 hours drive). We take lunch in Bertoua, we depart Bertoua for the town of Batouri which is 90km drive. On the national N10 road. At Batouri we shall check into the hotel for the night.
* Accommodation; Hotel Sylviane (simple hotel) Meals; Breakfast and Dinner
- Day 3; - Batouri-Yokadouma-Mambele(7-8 hours)
Departure from Batouri to Yokadouma and then to Mambele Lobeke National park (approx 380km), we shall stay at the WWF compound.
* Meals; Breakfast & Dinner.
- Day 4; Lobeke National Park
After breakfast we shall drive to the park entrance where we start our trek for about 3 hours to arrive Petite savannah Camp, where we camp and view wildlife from the watch tower).
*Accommodation; camping Meals; Breakfast & Dinner.
- Day 5; Lobeke National Park
We get up early in the morning to view wildlife and later on we trek to Grand Saline another 3-4 hours further from Petite Savane tower. We camp at Grande Savane. We camp beside the watchtower to spot some wildlife in the evening.
* Accommodation; camping Meals; Breakfast & Dinner
- Day 6; Lobeke National Park- Mambele
After breakfast we get a possibility to spot some animals. We later on trek back to Petite Savane, we take lunch and possibility to spot wildlife. We later trek to the park exit and drive to Mambele and spend the night.
*Accommodation; WWF guesthouse at Mambele Meals; Dinner.
- Day 7; Mambele- Yokadouma-Batouri-Bertoua(7-8 hours)
After breakfast we leave Mambele for Bertoua, arrival in Bertoua we check in at Mansa Hotel Bertoua. While driving from Yokadouma we shall pass through many small pygmy villages along the road.
*Accommodation; Mansa Hotel Bertoua Meals; Breakfast & Dinner.
Day 8;- Bertoua-Yaounde(5-6 hours)
After breakfast we shall depart Bertoua for Yaoundé. While in Yaoundé we shall drop you off at your hotel or at the airport. End of tour.
NB; Please contact us for your customized itineraries.
- A professional Bilingual tour guide
- Transportation 4*4 car with driver.
- Ba’aka tracker, and Eco Guard, chainsaw man, cook and porters.
- All fees.
- Camping Equipment – tents, sleeping mats, sleeping bags (2 people per tent – larger shared tents may be used for larger groups)
- Accommodation; 3 Hotel, 2 guest house and 2 nights of camping (double occupancy).
- Transportation for the local guide, cook, porters and other local staffs.
- Food; 5 breakfasts, 5 dinner and fruits. Simple meals cooked over an open fire during the trek
- Mineral water.
- Personal miscellaneous like drinks
- Individual insurance
- Lunch( buy your snacks)
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing