- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Mt Cameroon Summit, Craters and Elephant trail tour
Highlights: 5 day / 4 night tour – Hike to the summit of Mount Cameroon through its craters and lava fields to the Elephant opening and relaxation at the black sand beach in Limbe. Possible extension of the Limbe city tour.
This our best selling itinerary for Mount Cameroon. Also this itinerary can be customised to 6 days 5 nights.
Duration; 5 days 4 nights
Group Size: 2-15 people
Starting elevation; 1,015m
Maximum elevation; 4,095m.
Ending elevation; sea level in Bakingili village – Limbe.
Starting location; Upper farms- Buea.
Ending location; Tsaben beach hotel Bakingili village, west coast of Limbe.
Individual price = €810
Extra person price = €425 (ie 2 people costs €1235)
Before the creation of this park the Elephants for some time now has being protected by the local “Bakweri tribe” who are the indigenes of Mt Cameroon reason being that they have a great attachment with the elephants because their culture is centered this animal. Their major cultural event the Elephant dance ”malee dance” draws a lot of tourist who witness this event grouping villages from the slopes of Mt Cameroon and its held between the months of November to April each year, each village has to host the event. Tourists are mostly attracted by the “Njoku masquerades” or the “elephants”, there are many masquerades and you shall be amaze when you see them. I shall not go into details about this because its secret and will be explained on the tour.
- Please bring a good pair of hiking boots, a flash light.
- The above tour can also be done for 4 days 3 nights.
- Warm clothing and rain gear is advised, as the weather and climbing conditions can change at any moment.
- A strong level of fitness is required for the trek and a walking stick is recommended
- You will need to supply your own backpack for the porter to carry directly to the campsite each day. You are welcome to carry your own daypack containing supplies you will need during the day.
Day 1: We shall receive you neither in Douala, Buea or Limbe. We shall drive to Buea where you shall check in at hotel Mermoz Buea. We prepare for the hike.
*Accommodation; Hotel Mermoz. Meals; Dinner.
Day 2: We will drive to the Upper Farms (elevation: 1015m) where we start the hike through the forest to Hut #1 (1725m and 4km trek) and onto the Savannah Hut (elevation: 2265m and 5.3km trek). We arrive hut 2 ( 2865m and 6.5km). We can sit around the fire sharing stories before bedtime.
Accommodation: A night at Fako mountain lodge Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Distance: Upper Farms to Hut #2 is 6.5km
Day 3; after breakfast, we hike to hut #3 (elevation: 3760m and 2.9km trek from hut #2) where we will have lunch. On the way towards the summit, we will pass the crater of the May 2000 eruption. At the summit (elevation: 4095m and 4.4km trek from hut #2), we will have an opportunity to take some pictures. After, we will descend to the other side of the mountain to Camp #2 (elevation: 3420m). We pass through the impressive March 1999 eruption craters. We will then descend for Mann’s spring camp (elevation: 2440m), which is at the start of the forest.
Accommodation: A night at Mann’s spring lodge Meals: Breakfast and Dinner Distance: From the summit to Mann’s Spring Camp is about 14km.
Day 4: At 7:00am, we depart to the Elephant opening. We will trek past a lake where elephants bathe and drink during the dry seasons. There is a possibility of spotting wild forest elephants here. After crossing this area we camp at Drinking Garri Camp. Accommodation: Camping with tents, sleeping bags and mats. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner Distance: Approx 12km
Day 5: After breakfast, we leave our camp site for Bakingili village on the West Coast of Limbe on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. We will trek and take local transport to a hotel directly on the beach.
Accommodation: Tsaben Beach Hotel Limbe Meals: Breakfast on the mountain and Dinner at the hotel in Bakingili Limbe Distance approx 7 km.
Recommended extension; Limbe city tour + Bimbia slave trade market
- Experienced First-Aid certified tour guide
- All fees Mount Cameroon National Park
- Accommodation; 1 night at Fako mountain lodge Hut Two, 1 night at Mann’s spring lodge, 1 night camping at Drinking Garri camp elephant opening (Camping Equipment – tents, sleeping mats, sleeping bags, 1 night hotel at Tsaben beach hotel Limbe.(double occupancy)
- Transportation to the start point and after the hike to Limbe.
- Food and water for the duration of the tour (3 breakfasts, 3 dinners fruits) –Mixture of restaurant meals and simple meals cooked over an open fire during the trek
- 8 bottles of mineral water for each traveller (12 litres)
- Extra snacks and drinks in Buea and Limbe.
- Food at your hotel in Limbe.
- Camera fees to the sites we have to visit.
- Extra drinking water in excess of the 12 litres provided on the hike
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing